Thursday, June 25, 2015

When does this saga end?

It's been a little over a month since I've posted about my transition to a Shopify website. I must say I'm loving Shopify and the tools. BUT if you are someone who has little or no experience on setting up your website (even with user-friendly tools), either you will have to be content with an "as is" appearance or be ready for some in-depth study.

In my prior website experiences I have used Yahoo - both their simple basic website setup and their eCommerce platform. I have used Homestead. I have used Adobe Muse integrated with their Catalyst platform (this requires some knowledge of HTML). So I did not come into Shopify without some website experience.

But the menus at Shopify are at times confusing. Meaning where do you click first to get to something else. I still have to resort to their Shopify docs on things I've done before because I'd forgotten the entire process.

I lucked out in my timing with Shopify because right after I had somewhat set up my store - they joined with Pinterest to engage "buy buttons."

Since I do have a business Pinterest site, I was ready and willing to jump on the bandwagon.

You engage the Pinterest channel through Shopify's menu. Very simple - until Pinterest starts to navigate your site.

Errors!!! First Pinterest only recognizes size and color as the variants. So Shopify has this nifty part of its variants that you can sell a physical item (such as an art print) with normal size variants (8x10, 11x14, etcetera). AND you can add a variant for a download of the print. Great Shopify tool! I had it all over the place. And thus I had errors all over the place.

So I had to take the downloads off of the variant menus. Then I had to set up new products for the downloadable files.

Thought I was done. Pinterest was finally happy with my non-downloadable products. WRONG! Now I had PayPal as my gateway provider who I had always used. NOT ALLOWED - you must use Shopify Payments provided by Stripe. Thankfully all I had to do to correct this error was complete the application for Stripe. In the end, I'm pretty happy with the choice since you can also use Stripe on your phone - which I must look into.

Is my site done? Technically, yes. But I must now add much more products. I have also figured out how to connect my blog with the site. Only good things to come!